Pages

Thursday 6 October 2011

A little corner of India



We went to a birthday party at the weekend; a party hosted by an Indian couple and patronised by Indian and Sri Lankan guests. In fact I was the only non-Asian there and for a minute, with the sun blazing outside, and familiar aromas coming from the kitchen, I could have been back in Bangalore again.

What I also noticed was the familiar turn of phrase; the little idioms which are commonplace in India but sound odd in conversation here. "I'm Anil Kumar" said one chap, introducing himself to me; a common enough form of introduction in India, but we'd rarely introduce ourselves in this country by giving first and last names. [Note, since advised by David, our convivial host, that these were in fact both first names].

And for some reason this reminded me of a misheard-name when I was talking to a chap called Eugene at my old company in India. I got to know Eugene very well and when I left India he gave me a very nice wooden backgammon set, a family heirloom which I still treasure. When I first met him he was explaining to me that he was a twin and that his brother also worked at the same company. "He's all over" he said to me.

Well I suppose he must be," I replied, "I expect he's busy like you and has to visit different departments."

"No" replied Eugene, "he's Ol-iver".

No comments:

Post a Comment